What's Old, 2016?
- I was an organizer and co-artistic director for The Caligari Project, an interdisciplinary arts festival from September to December of 2016.
- On December 17 I used the Tickletrunk of Dr. Caligari to present "Frankenstitch Watches Mary Wigman" at the Caligari-themed Fada Dance event "Drunk On German Expressionism" fundraiser event.
- On December 8 I presented a five minute clip from the work in progress "Sock-Vile" at the Filmpool inaugeral "Open Aperture" event, held at the Exchange.
- On November 4 I presented at the "Meet in the Middle" symposium artists' panel to discuss memory and trauma at the MacKenzie Art Gallery. [Read Notes and See Images]
- From October 30 to November 7, Eyes of Sorrow Moon was part of the official selection for the Festigious International Online Film Festival. It was awarded "Best Horror Film" by the judges.
- Eyes of Sorrow Moon was screen through the POP NINJA online Horror Short Film Festival from October 31 to November 3.
- On October 30 I presented three films: "Testament of Frankenstitch", "Der Backer", and "Bonnie's Indescribable Predicament"" at the Secret Cinema in the All Hallow's Eve Extra-Vaganza caberet party in Regina.
- On October 20 I presented a suitcase cinema containing The Testament of Frankenstitch during the Somnambulist Puppet Sideshow, part of the Caligari Project at the MacKenzie Art Gallery. I presented the suitcase again on October 30 with the film replaced with "Crave" (1994).
- On October 19 I presented a one hour talk with Chrystene Ells
"Between Darkness and Light: Walking in the Shadows of the German Expressionists", discussing the act of creating film in a German Expressionist style. This was part of the Art of Expressionism Speakers Series curated by Dr. Christina Stojanova as part of the Caligari Project at the University of Regina.
- Between October 6 and January 15 my film Eyes of Sorrow Moon is on display in the Dunlop Art Gallery's Mediatheque.
- On October 4, I am on "CTV Morning Live" along with Victor Sawa to talk about the Caligari Project.
- On September 23, Dr. Christine Ramsay presented a discussion about the Meet Me in the Middle project with a focus on my summer exhibition as her contribution to the Fine Arts Lecture Series at the University of Regina.
- On the last weekend of the AGR exhibition, Jennifer Sparowhawk invited me to participate in her online interview series, Kindred Cities which is about art and culture in Regina and Saskatoon.
- In late August I was featured on the "Hit List" on the Akimbo web blog for the closing of my exhibition.
- On August 4 I introduced "Metropolis" as a part of the German Expressionist film series a the RPL.
- On July 26 I was featured in a Regina Leader Post newspaper article written by Ashley Martin. On August 4, Greg Beatty wrote an article on my project for the Prairie Dog.
- On July 16 I conducted a super-8 workshop out of the YAAG as a satelite project to my exhibition.
- From July 7 to August 27 there is a solo gallery exhibition of my media work "Anecdotal Evidence: the work of Gerald Saul" curated by the Strandline Collective at the Art Gallery of Regina. On July 13 I conducted an artist talk on my work to 134 people attending the opening of the exhibition. On the final day I presented a sneak preview of my new 16mm short film The End of Another Day, an 11 minute sequel to Wheat Soup.
- I worked wtih Margaret Bessai and William Bessai-Saul on the constructon of an art bat house which was actioned off in a silent auction for a New Dance Horizon's fundraiser. Works were publically displayed at the Double Tree Hilton in Regina between June 26 and July 16.
- On June 9 my new super-8 film "Puck" was shown at the One Take Super 8 Event in Regina at the RPL film theatre.
- I introduced the film screening of German Expressionist film series at the RPL, Waxworks, Street of Crocodiles, and Dark Shadows, on June 2.
- My hand drawn film "Son of Cthulhu" played at the Cathedral Village Arts Festival in the Screening Under the Steeple on May 27.
- On May 26 I will be performing as Professor Delusia the nocturnalist in a pop up garage gallery projection show as part of the Cathedral Village Arts Festival in Regina.
- Displayed six card series which create a slightly condensed and alternate telling of my film "Eyes of Sorrow Moon" in uncurated display at the MacKenzie Art Gallery for the Regina ATC 13th anniversary celebration.
- I presented a 20 slide artist talk within the "Quick and Dirty" speaker series on the topic of "ATCs" and my use of them for extended narratives and series storytelling. Presented by Dunlop Art Gallery in partnership with Creative City Centre on April 19.
- I was interviewed by Sheila Coles on CBC radio regarding the Caligari Project, April 7.
- I presented "Sullivan's Travels" by Preston Sturges to a class at the Lifelong Learning Centre in Regina, February 12.
- Matchbox Weekend opened the first screening at 8Fest in Toronto, January, 2016.
..."What's Old - 2015, CLICK HERE
..."What's Old - 2014, CLICK HERE
..."What's Old - 2013" CLICK HERE
..."What's Old", an archive of events of 2012...