Dr. Sharfuddin Ahmed Khan is Assistant Professor in Industrial and Systems Engineering at Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Regina, SK, Canada.
Prior to joining University of Regina (U of R), Dr. Khan has worked more than twelve years with Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management department at University of Sharjah (UoS), Sharjah, United Arab Emirates where he has served as Assistant Professor (Sept. 2019 to Dec. 2021) and Lecturer (Sept. 2009 to Aug. 2019).
Dr. Khan has more than 80 archival publications to his credit in high impact factor journals, as well as conference papers/proceedings, and books chapters. He's published in various journals such as Supply chain management: An International Journal, International Journal of Production Research, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, Journal of Cleaner Production, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Production Planning and Control, Experts Systems with Application, Journal of Operation Research Society, Annals of Operations Research, International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making, Corporate Social responsibility and Environmental Management, and Knowledge-Based Systems etc. He also attended several international conferences such as POMS, IEEE-IEEM, IEOM, GOL etc.Sharfuddin has also guest edited special issues of prestigious international journals in the areas of Supply Chain Management and Decision Making.
Sharfuddin supervised 5 Masters and more than 25 Undergraduate (Bachelors of Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management) students to completion since 2009. Currently Sharfuddin is supervising 1 PhD in Engineering Management (joint) and 1 Masters in Engineering Management thesis (joint). Sharfuddin have developed strong international networks and relationships which have resulted in joint publications. To name a few, Sharfuddin is collaborating with contemporary faculties from the given institutions: University of Southampton, UK, The University of Hull, UK, University of Sussex, UK, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, University of Ottawa, Canada, ETS Montreal, Canada, NEOMA Business School, France, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, India, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan, University of Sharjah etc.
Sharfuddin taught more than twelve course at undergraduate and more than nine courses at graduate level, such as supply chain management, operations planning and control, logistics management, project risk management, project quality management, operation research, production and inventory systems, stochastic systems simulation etc.
During his association with UoS, he was highly involved in the development and improvement of undergraduate and graduate program. He was also involved in several administrative tasks and worked as capstone design project coordinator (2 years), summer internship/practical training coordinator (7 years), ABET accreditation committee member (twice), course scheduling committee member (10 years) etc. He was also associated with several college level committees such as student disciplinary committee, student affairs committee, student welfare committee, and graduate research symposium etc
ACADEMIC POSITIONS HELD
(12+ years of experience)
- Assistant Professor, Industrial Systems Engineering Department, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Regina, Regina, SK, Canada. Jan 2022 to Date.
- Assistant Professor, Industrial Engineering & Engineering Management Department, College of Engineering, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. Sept 2019 to Dec 2021.
- Lecturer, Industrial Engineering & Engineering Management Department, College of Engineering, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. Sept 2009 to August 2019.
- Visiting Faculty, Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering Department, NED University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi, Pakistan. Jan 2008 to June 2008.
- Visiting Faculty, Plastic Technology Centre, Karachi, Pakistan. Jan 2008 to Aug 2009.
INDUSTRIAL POSITIONS HELD
(Approx. 5 years of experience)
- Senior Procurement Officer, Central Planning & Procurement Department, BASF Pakistan Private Limited, Karachi, Pakistan. Nov 2007 to Aug 2009.
- Supply & Distribution Executive, Supply & Distribution Department, ExxonMobil, Pakistan. Feb 2007 to Oct 2007.
- Deputy Manager Development, Product Development Department, Procon Engineering Private Limited, Karachi, Pakistan. May-2006 to Jan-2007.
- Quality Engineer, Quality Assurance Department, AuVitronic Limited, Karachi, Pakistan. Dec-2003 to Dec-2004.
ADMINISTRATIVE POSITIONS HELD/COMMITTIES
- Committee Member, Faculty of Graduatee Studies and Research scholarship, University of Regina (Jan 2022 – June 2024)
- Committee Member, Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences representative for Media, Art, and Performance, University of Regina (Sept 2022 – June 2024)
- Committee Member, Student Appeals Council representating Faculty of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Regina (July 2022 – June 2024)
- IISE Student Chapter Associate Faculty Advisor, University of Sharjah (Sept 2012 – Dec 2021)
- Committee Member, College of Engineering Distance Learning, University of Sharjah (Sept 2020 – Dec 2021)
- Committee Chair, College of Engineering Student Disciplinary Committee, University of Sharjah (Sept 2019 - Aug 2020)
- Department Coordinator for College of Engineering Student Affairs Committee, University of Sharjah (Sept 2017 – Dec 2021)
- Department Coordinator for College of Engineering Graduate Research Symposium, University of Sharjah (Sept 2019 – Dec 2021)
- Department Coordinator for College of Engineering Student Welfare Committee, University of Sharjah (Sept 2019 – Dec 2021)
- Department Course Scheduling Committee Member, University of Sharjah (Sept 2009 – Aug 2019)
- Senior Design Project Coordinator, University of Sharjah (Sept 2013 - Aug 2015)
- Department Financial Budget Coordinator, University of Sharjah (Sept 2009 – Aug 2019)
- Department ABET Accreditation Committee Member, University of Sharjah (Sept 2009 - Aug 2014)
- Department Coordinator for College of Engineering UAE Innovation Week, University of Sharjah (Sept 2015 – Aug 2017)
- Department Coordinator for College of Engineering Outreach Committee, University of Sharjah (Sept 2012 - Aug 2016)
- Students Practical Training Coordinator, University of Sharjah (Sept 2009 - June 2016)
- PhD in Engineering (Industrial Engineering), École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS), University of Quebec, Montreal, Canada - September 2014 - January 2018: Achieved “Excellent” Grade for thesis
- Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore - January 2005 - July 2006
- Bachelors of Engineering in Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering from NED University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi- Pakistan - January 2000 - April 2004
ACADEMIC HONORS AND AWARDS
- Outstanding PhD Student Award, IEOM Society, 2015
MEMBERSHIP of PROFESSIONAL BODY
- Institute of Industrial and System Engineering (IISE), Senior Member, Since 09/2013
- International Society of Multiple Criteria Decision Making, Since 08/2015
- Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC), Life Time Member, Since 04/2004
CERTIFICATIONS / TRAINING COURSES
- Certification in “Remotely” Designing for Learning: From Principles to Practice” from MIT – JWEL Higher Education, USA (2020).
- Certification in “How to Publish in a High Impact Journals” from Center of Continuing Education, University of Sharjah, UAE (2017).
- Certification in “Fundamentals of Supply Chain Management” from Penn State University, Singapore (2007).
- Certification in “Imports Techniques & Procedures” from ExxonMobil Asia Pacific Limited, Thailand (2007).
- Certification in “Six Sigma Phenomena” from JETRO, Pakistan (2004).
- Collaborative projects
- Industry Projects
- Masters' or PhD student supervision
- Conferences - as a panelist or speaker
- External Examiner - Masters' or PhD
- Urdu – Native language
- English - Can read, write, speak, understand and peer review
- Hindi - Can speak and understand
- Arabic - Can read with amateur level of understanding