- Linear and Nonlinear Dynamics of Mechanical Devices/Components:
· Chatter vibrations in high speed and precision machining;
· Vehicle dynamics and kinematics, vehicle structural vibrations;
· Liquid sloshing in moving containers;
· Chaotic, quasiperiodic and periodic behavior of nonlinear vibration systems;
· Linear and nonlinear vibrations of mechanical devices.
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) with Seismic Wave and Vibration Stimulation:
· Wave propagation in porous media;
· Energy conservative vibration stimulation with multiple energy sources;
· Multiphase fluid mobilization in porous media with experimental and numerical approaches;
· Wave motion in half-space porous media;
· Theoretical and experimental approaches of the response of strata saturated with water and oil to elastic waves;
· Oil field appication of EOR with seismic wave and vibration stimulation technique.
- Acoustic Engineering:
· Noise assessment and noise control for all terrain vehicles;
· Speech privacy in enclosure, sound propagation in large-scale power plant, industrial noise control and acoustic materials design;
· Traffic noise mapping and traffic noise evaluation;
· Trafficnoise control with porous pavements.
- Fatique Analysis:
· Fatigue strength assessment of vehicle structures subjected to nonlinear dynamical loading due to road conditions, operation maneuvers and sloshing of liquid cargos.
· Finite element fatigue analysis for steel ASME pressure vessels and tank vehicle structures exerted by cyclic operating pressures.
· Stress/strain/deformation analysis for engineering structures with large deformation and thermal effects;
· Numerical modeling of motions and dynamical responses of mechanical devices subject to linear and nonlinear loadings;
· Fracture assessment (stress-strain-deformation states at crack tip) of mechanical components under triaxial loading.
- Constitutive Relation:
· Geometrically and physically nonlinear wave propagation in thermoelastic media including a novel constitutive theory.
- Design and Manufacturing Optimization:
· Optimization of mechanical design and manufacturing with nonlinearities and uncertainties.
- Computer simulation (Vehicles and Machinery), novel numerical method:
- · Numerical simulation of liquid slosh in moving containers of various shapes;
· Effective and accurate numerical methods through a technique of “piecewise constantization” in simulating linear and nonlinear vibrations, chaotic behavior and dynamical responses of vehicles and machineries;
· P-T method developed generates more accurate and faster convergent result in comparing with Runge-Kutta method.