My current research interest is Artificial General Intelligence and Smart Environments. Artificial General Intelligence (or AGI for short) is a higher form of Machine Intelligence (or Artificial Intelligence) where the intelligent agent (or machine) is able to successfully perform any intellectual task that a human being can.
I am interested to build intelligent software algorithms and systems that can complement human activities, not to replace them. More specifically, the topics that I am interested in include:
· Human Needs and Emotion Recognition using multimodal sensing (i.e. Vision, Voice, Olfactory, Tactile, etc.)
· Visual Analytics, Object Detection and Tracking, Pattern Recognition, etc.
· Natural Language Processing, Machine Translation, etc.
· Distributed Deep Learning, Scalable Cross Platform Learning, Adaptive Deep Learning, Incremental Online Learning, etc.
· Smart Devices, Wearable Devices, IoT, Interactive Display Technologies
· Intelligent Agents, Autonomous Vehicles, Unmanned Ground or Aerial Vehicles
· Applications in Smart Environments, Hospital Patient Monitoring and Assistance, Elderly Care, Accident Avoidance, etc.
Please click here to visit my lab’s webpage -> General Intelligence and Smart Environment Lab
1) Automatic Human Face Detection and Localization
Automatic Detection and Localization of Human Faces in scenes with no prior information about scale, orientation and viewpoint.
Here are some image sequences in MPEG showing the results of the face detector. No visual tracking were used.
· Sequence 1 Image sequence of a face moving in strong illumination.
· Sequence 2 Image sequence of a face moving in saturated camera contrast.
· Sequence 3 Simultaneous detection of more than one face in the image.
· Sequence 4 Detection of a hand drawn face.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "Towards an Automatic Human Face Localization System", In Proceedings 6th British Machine Vision Conference, vol. 2, pp 701-710, Birmingham, 1995.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "Finding Initial Estimates of Human Face Location", In Proceedings 2nd Asian Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 3, pp 514-518, Singapore, 1995.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "A Probabilistic Framework for Perceptual Grouping of Features for Human Face Detection", In Proceedings 2nd International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp 16-21, Vermont, 1996.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "Detection of Human Faces under Scale, Orientation and Viewpoint Variations", In Proceedings 2nd International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp 295-300, Vermont, 1996.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "Scale and Orientation Invariance in Human Face Detection", In Proceedings 7th British Machine Vision Conference, vol. 2, pp 745-754, Edinburgh, 1996.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "Feature-based Human Face Detection", Image and Vision Computing, 15(9), pp. 713--735. 1997.
· K.C.Yow, R.Cipolla, "Enhancing Human Face Detection using Motion and Active Contours", In Proceedings 3rd Asian Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 1, pp 515-522, Hong Kong, 1998.
2) Contour Extraction in Ultrasound Images
Extraction of contours in noisy Ultrasound Images using Active Shape Models
· Q.Chen, K.C.Yow, ''Contour Extraction in Ultrasound Images using Ziplock Snakes,'' Advances in Signal Processing, Robotics and Communications, 2001, pp. 81-86
3) Geographic Ad Hoc Routing Security in MANETs
Mobile ad hoc network is an emerging networking technology which has drawn the comprehensive research. As the main roadblock of putting MANET in practice, security problems likewise attract more and more research. Despite of their progress, security issues in geographic routing has not been properly studied. However, researchers showed geographic routing has many potential applications thanks to its superiority in scalability. In this research, we give a proper analysis of security issues in geographic routing, and propose some potential countermeasures. It enables better understanding of security problems in this area and benefits the future direction of related research.
· Z.Zhou, K.C.Yow, S.Nandi, ''A Secure Location Service in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks,'' The Fifth IFIP TC6 International Conference on Mobile and Wireless Communications Networks (MWCN 2003), Singapore, 2003
· A.Dabholkar, K.C.Yow, ''An Efficient Authentication and Key Exchange protocol for Low Powered Clients,'' The Fifth IFIP TC6 International Conference on Mobile and Wireless Communications Networks (MWCN 2003), Singapore 2003
· A.Dabholkar, K.C.Yow, “Efficient Implementation of Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) for Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs)”, Wireless Personal Communications, 29 (3-4): 233-246, June 2004.
· Z.Zhou, K.C.Yow, “Anonymizing Geographic Ad hoc Routing for Preserving Location Privacy”, International Workshop on Mobile Distributed Computing (MDC’05), Columbus, Ohio, 2005.
· Z.Zhou, K.C.Yow, “Location Update Protection for Geographic Ad Hoc Routing”, 10th IFIP International Conference on Personal Wireless Communications (PWC 2005), Colmar, France, 2005
· Z.Zhou, K.C.Yow, “Geographic Ad Hoc Routing Security: Attacks and Countermeasures”, Ad Hoc & Sensor Wireless Networks, 1(3): 235-253, 2005
· Z.Zhou, K.C.Yow, “Anonymizing Geographic Ad Hoc Routing for Preserving Location Privacy”, International Journal of Network Security, 2(3):210-218, 2006.
4) QoS Framework in Multihop Wireless Networks with Infrastructure (MWNIs)
We consider a multihop wireless network with infrastructure support (MWNI) that can be constructed from an existing IEEE 802.11 based WLANs with multihop extension. Assuming that only a singe network interface card operating on a single channel MAC is equipped in each mobile host, we identify the characteristics of such a network and the challenges in designing a routing algorithm to maximally utilize all the available channels.
· H. Wang, K.C.Yow, S.Nandi, “Providing Quality of Service to Real-time Traffic through Multipath Discovery’, The First International Conference on Mobile Computing and Ubiquitous Networking (ICMU 2004), Yokosuka, Japan, 2004.
· H.Wang, K.C.Yow, “QoS Routing in Multi-channel Multihop Wireless Network with Infrastructure Support’, The First International Conference on Integrated Internet Ad hoc and Sensor Networks (Intersense 2006), Nice, France, 2006.
· H.Wang, K.C.Yow, “A QoS Framework to Support Integrated Services in Multihop Wireless Networks with Infrastructure Support”, In Proceedings 26th IEEE International Performance Computing and Communications Conference (IPCCC’07), New Orleans, Louisana, 2007.
· K.C.Yow, H.Wang, “Multihop Wireless Networks with Infrastructure Support (MWNIs): Extending the coverage of WLANs with Multihop Networks”, In Proceedings International Conference on Advanced Infocomm Technologies (ICAIT2008), Shenzhen, China, July 2008.
· K.C.Yow, G.Y.Aw, “Efficient Node Reconfiguration in Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANETs) for Wireless Internet Access Point Connections”, In Proceedings First International Workshop on Future Trends on Design and Analysis of Dynamic Networks (FTDA-DN), Hong Kong, July 2008
· H.Wang, K.C.Yow, “A QoS Framework to Support Integrated Services in Multihop Wireless Networks with Infrastructure Support”, Computer Communications, to appear, 2008.
5) Complex Time Series Prediction using Fuzzy Neural Networks
The application of Computational Intelligence techniques and Neural-Computing methods evolved with the enhancement of computing power and relevant technological advancement in network learning abilities and agent-based learning approaches. Mainly artificial neural networks have been applied to technical financial forecasting as they have the ability to learn complex non-linear mapping and self-adaptation for different statistical distributions.
· A.Tan, C.Quek, K.C.Yow, “Maximizing Winning Trades using a Novel RSPOP Fuzzy Neural Network Intelligent Stock Trading System”, Applied Intelligence: Special Issue on Soft Computing Techniques applied to Finance, 29(2):116-128, 2008.
· C.Quek, K.C.Yow, P.Y.K.Cheng, C.C.Tan, “Investment Portfolio Balancing: An Application of Generic Self-Organizing Fuzzy Neural Network (GenSoFNN)”, Accepted for publication in Intelligent Systems in Accounting, Finance and Management, 2009.