This assignment asks you to use data from the Survey of Student Attitudes and Experiences 1998. The data set is available at t:\students\public\201\ssae98.sav see the questionnaire from the Survey and the list of variables handout. Using this data set, the problems below ask you to obtain statistics and write comments on the results. When you have completed 1-5 below, hand in the printout of the SPSS output, along with your written comments. Alternatively, if you copy the SPSS output to a file in Word for Windows and write the comments in that file, hand in a paper copy of this file.
For each problem, part (a) refers to what you are to do with SPSS. For part (b) of each of these questions, write the answers and comments in pen or pencil on the printout (or in a Word for Windows file).
1. (a) Obtain frequency distributions for each of the variables IMM (question 33), IMMJOBS (question 35), and EMP1 and EMP4 (question 37) by using Analyze Descriptive Statistics Frequencies. (b) In a sentence or two, describe the frequency distribution for each variable, commenting on any differences in views for the two parts of question 37.
2. (a) In the middle of the last page of the Report on the Survey of Student Attitudes and Experiences are some statements concerning Student employment patterns. These refer to the variables JOB, JOBHOURS, and PAY in questions 52-54. Obtain frequency distributions and the mean, median, and mode for each of these variables and histograms for JOBHOURS and PAY. (b) Write a paragraph summarizing your results, where possible comparing with what is written in the Report.
3. (a) Obtain stem-and-leaf displays for (i) age of respondent (AGE) and (ii) age of respondent as dependent variable, classified by provincial political preference (PV) in the factor list, using Analyze Descriptive Statistics Explore. Also, obtain the histograms of AGE for those of each political preference by clicking on Plots, then check Histogram and Continue, prior to clicking OK. (Ignore or delete the boxplot on the output). (b) Using the histograms or the stem-and-leaf displays, in words compare the distributions of age for those of different political preference. Use the stem-and-leaf displays to determine the median and the mode of age for those with Conservative political preference and those who support None of the parties.
4. (a) For variables V5, V6, and V7 (question 15), obtain frequency distributions, histograms and the following statistics: mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and quartiles. (b) Using the data in the output, calculate the interquartile range for each variable. Using these data, write a short note on how students view these political issues.
5. (a) Using Analyze Descriptive Statistics Descriptives, obtain the mean and standard deviation for the six variables measuring time spent at various activities (STHOURS to RELHOURS, question 51), (b) Using the statistics you obtain, write a short note describing the average and variation across these variables.