Social Studies 306
Assignment 3 - Designing Questions
Handed out: September 28-29, 1999
Due: October 8, 1998
Design a set of questions for each of the following.
- A section of this semesterís Survey.
- A portion of the section on multiculturalism.
During the September 28-29 labs, we will decide who works on which sections of the Survey. If you would like to work in groups of two, that might help sort out some of the problems associated with designing a set of questions.
When you hand in your assignment, provide information on each of the following:
- For the first topic area, design a set of questions that would take up no more than two pages of the questionnaire, given the general structure and spacing in the 1997 survey. Work on both the wording and the format (open-ended, specific set of responses, grid, etc.) of the questions.
- For the multiculturalism section, aim at the equivalent of one page of questions and possible responses.
- If you have some supplementary questions beyond what might take up two pages, questions that might be added to an interview schedule, add these and note which questions these are. These supplementary questions could be more speculative or less polished, ones that we might test on a few respondents this year but would not want to distribute to all respondents.
- Provide a list of subsidiary variables that are essential or useful for analyzing the hypotheses and connections among the variables. This can just be a list like sex, year of university, faculty, and hours worked at jobs. These are variables that will generally be in other sections of the questionnaire.
- Outline the rationale for the questions, and state in general terms what you expect to find from these questions. This can be written in point form, as in Assignment 1.
- October 5-6 labs. Bring a rough draft of ideas or questions so that we can begin discussing the approach and providing some reaction to your ideas.
- Page 113 to 117 of the Manual provide guidelines concerning the construction of questions. Also look at Section 6, which contains some other questionnaires. If you use a question from another questionnaire without much modification, please provide the reference.