Sociology 319 –
Contemporary Social Theories
Second Short Paper (15 points)
Due: March 20, 2006
Select one of the following topics and write a paper on this
topic. If you wish to select a different
topic, check with me first. The paper is
to be approximately five printed double-spaced pages.
- Select a section of Gender Advertisements by Erving Goffman (HF5827 G57 1979) and write an essay
explaining how he uses the symbolic interactionist
approach to analyze how images of gender are presented. You could update Goffman’s
examples and analysis by selecting some examples of current
- Explain Goffman’s view of
- How can emotions be introduced into a sociological
model that concerns structure, reason, interpretation, and meaning?
- Explain how rational choice theorists explain social
interaction and social relationships.
- In “Dilemmas of the Self,” Giddens
argues that modernity is both fragmenting and uniting. Explain and illustrate with examples.
- Critical theorists and Giddens
approach modernity in different ways.
Compare and contrast ideas from “Dilemmas of the Self” with the
approach of critical theorists.
- Feminist approaches are more compatible with some
sociological perspectives than others.
Select a sociological perspective and write a paper explaining how
feminist theory might be integrated into it.
- Smith develops a sociology
of experience. Compare her approach
with symbolic interactionist perspectives.
- Both Collins and Smith develop models of dual
consciousness. Compare and contrast