319 – Contemporary Social Theories
Midterm Examination – Part II
11:30 a.m. – 12:20 p.m., March 3, 2006
Select one of the
following and write an essay on the topic (30 points),
- Critical theory and the systems approach of Parsons are often
viewed as opposed approaches to sociological theory. At the same time, they have some
similarities. Discuss the
similarities and outline possible reasons for these similarities.
- Explain how Marcuse uses earlier critical theory but introduces
new elements in developing his critique of one-dimensional society.
- Using the critique of the culture industry and
commercialization, explain and illustrate how the creative and spontaneous
side of reason has become subordinate to the system.
- Explain how Habermas deals with issues examined by earlier
social theorists but addresses them through his theory of communicative
- Contrast how Parsons and Goffman use the concept of role in
explaining social action and interaction.
- Compare and contrast how Goffman and Hochschild include
emotions in their analysis of social interaction.