PhD 1990 (University of Toronto)
Professor of Mathematics
Dean, Faculty of Science
Faculty of Science
University of Regina
Regina, Saskatchewan S4S 0A2, Canada
douglas.farenick "at" uregina.ca
Laboratory Building 225;
Telephone (306) 585-4143
Area of Research
Refereed Publications, 2012-2018
- D. Farenick, M. Rahaman, Bures contractive channels on operator algebras, New York Journal of Mathematics 23 (2017), 1369-1393.
- D. Farenick, S. Jaques, M. Rahaman, The fidelity of density operators in an operator-algebraic framework,
Journal of Mathematical Physics 57 (2016), 102202 (15pp).
- D. Farenick, M. Mastnak, A. Popov, Isometries of the Toeplitz matrix algebra,
Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 434 (2016), 1612-1632.
- D. Farenick, M. Kozdron, S. Plosker, Spectra and variance of quantum random variables,
Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications 434 (2016), 1106-1122.
- M. Argerami, D. Farenick, C*-envelopes of Jordan operator systems, Operators and Matrices
9 (2015), 325-341.
- D. Farenick, A. Kavruk, V.I. Paulsen, I.G. Todorov,
Characterisations of the weak expectation property, New York Journal of
Mathematics, to appear.
- D. Farenick, A. Kavruk, V.I. Paulsen, I.G. Todorov, Operator
systems from discrete groups, Communications in Mathematical Physics
329 (2014), 207-238.
- M. Argerami, D. Farenick, The C*-envelope of an irreducible
periodic weighted unilateral shift, Integral Equations and Operator
Theory 77 (2013), 199-210.
- A. Bhattacharya, D. Farenick, Crossed product C*-algebras with
the weak expectation property, New York Journal of Mathematics 19
- D. Farenick, R. Floricel, S. Plosker, Approximately clean
quantum probability measures, Journal of Mathematical Physics 54 (2013),
- D. Farenick, A. Kavruk, V.I. Paulsen, C*-algebras with the
weak expectation property and a multivariable analogue of Ando's theorem
on the numerical radius, Journal of Operator Theory 70 (2013), 573-590.
- M. Argerami, D. Farenick, P. Massey, Second-order local
multiplier algebras of continuous trace C*-algebras, Journal of
Mathematical Analysis and Applications 397 (2013), 822-836.
- D. Farenick, V.I. Pauslen,
Operator system quotients of matrix algebras and their tensor products, Mathematica Scandinavica 111 (2012),210-243.
- D. Farenick, M.J. Kozdron,
Conditional expectation and Bayes' rule for quantum random variables and positive operator valued measures,
Journal of Mathematical Physics 53 (2012), 042201 (17 pp).
- M. Argerami, D. Farenick, P. Massey,
Injective envelopes and local multiplier algebras of some spatial continuous trace C*-algebras,
Quarterly Journal of Mathematics (Oxford) 63 (2012), 1-20.
Supervision of Undergraduate and Graduate Students, and Postdoctoral Researchers, 2012-2018
- Ioherase Ransom, MSc in progress.
- Ryan Tessier, PhD in progress
- Mizanur Rahaman, PhD 2017. Quantum fidelity and the Bures metric in operator algebras.
- Bo Cui, MSc 2016. The Hahn-Banach separation theorem in free convexity.
- Angshuman Bhattacharya, PhD 2014. Weak expectation properties of C*-algebras and operator systems.
- Sadia Mwangangi, MSc 2012, co-supervision with M. Argerami. Operator systems on finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces.
- Sam Jaques. Spectra of quantum channels. 2015 and 2017
- Charlayna McGill. Discrete subgroups of matrix groups. Entanglement criteria. 2014 and 2015
- Adam Gorr. Structure of factorisable quantum channels and their complementary channels. 2014
- Natalia Filomeno. Mathematics of quantum information. Positive operator valued measures. 2012 and 2013
Professional Service, 2012-2018
- Samir Raouafi (PhD 2014, Université Laval). 2015-2016
- Shawn McCann (PhD 2011, University of Calgary). 2012-2014
- Vice President (West), Canadian Mathematical Society. 2017-2019
- Chair, Finance Committee, Canadian Mathematical Society. 2013-2015
- Co-Editor in Chief, Operators and Matrices.
- Scientific Co-organizer:
International Linear Algebra Society Conference, July 11-15, 2016. Leuven, Belgium
- American Mathematical Society Spring Section Meeting, April 16-17, 2016, Fargo, USA
- Western Canada Linear Algebra Meeting, May 14-15, 2016, Winnipeg, Canada